Wednesday, 26 March 2008

UFO #1 of the year completed!!

I finally finished my niece Helen's 18th birthday quilt. I was trying to think how long I've been working on it, and realised it's not taken as long as I'd thought. I designed it way back in summer 07 (using EQ5), then got bought EQ6 for Christmas so re-interpreted it in there. Bought some pieces of pink fabric (Helen's request) between design and re-design, then in January at the AGM of my quilt group I bought loads of cream FQs for the background. Got the 18 blocks cut, and the logs for the outer border, then in February bought the bright bubblegum pink for the sashing, inner border and binding. It pieced up quite quickly, and I started the quilting.

As it has to be ready for May, I machine quilted it, using a pale pink thread and a shop bought design which just fit the blocks. Following a pattern on BQL, I used fancy thread in the bobbin, flipped the quilt upside-down and drew a meandering curve with swirls and swags right along that outer border.

Finally got the binding hand stitched down on Monday night.

No comments: