This weekend I finally finished my siggy quilt. I swapped blocks for the 2007 Dear Jane swap, then some more for the European swap and also some that I swapped one-on-one. Anyway, I ended up with a whole pile of 5" blocks in a huge range of colours and styles. I knew I wanted to piece them in a rainbow style, and googled for all I was worth to see how other people had assembled their quilts. The top went together reaaly well, and I had 4 blocks left over which I decided to use in the borders. Because I want to improve my mitred corners, I thought the best way to use these blocks was in the centre of each side, so I could mitre the 5" border.
Because the blocks tell their own story I quilted in the ditch in a grid pattern around each block and drew in a simple rope pattern in the border, using a tool I've had for years but never used. It's a guide for drawing plaits in either large or small curves or points by Angela Maddern that I bought in Tavistock. I'm trying to iprove my machine quilting too, so this gave me a great chance.
If I'm being honest I'm not happy with the puffy way the blocks have neded up but I couldn't press them too hard once the top was assembled in case I damaged any of the embellishments. Still if you don't look too critically, it's passable.
I've been quilting for around 10 years. I'm gradually becoming more confident in my abilities and had some of my work in my quilt group's summer exhibition. I'm fighting a losing battle to only buy fabric for specific projects and to finish some of my UFOs I want to get under 2:20 for a half marathon, sub 60 10K and run my first marathon. I've also recently been diagnosed with thyroid cancer.